Elecció : 2 de febrer de 2019.
Ingrés : 26 de novembre de 2019, «Personalized medicine -bewen hype and hope. Its present role in atrial fibrillation», presentació a càrrec de l’Acadèmic Numerari Molt Il·ltr. Dr. Antoni Bayés de Luna.
Place and Date of Birth:
Haan (Rheinland), 19 January 1944.
Present Position and Address:
Professor Emeritus, previous Head of the Department of Cardiology and Angiology of the Hospital of the University of Münster, from 1988 to February 2009, and previous Head of the Department of Molecular Cardiology of the Institute for Arteriosclerosis Research at the University of Münster, 1992 to March 2009.
Training and Education:
• 1970 to 1971 Institute of Pathology, University of Düsseldorf.
•October 1971-1997 Department of Medicine (Cardiology, Angiology, and Pneumology), University of Düsseldorf (Head: Prof. Dr. Franz Loogen).
• 1969 Dr. med. .
• 1978 Habilitation.
• 1982 Appointment as Professor of Medicine (C3), University of Düsseldorf.
• 1988 Appointment as Professor (C4) and Head of Internal Medicine (Cardiology and Angiology) of the Medical Hospital of the Westfälische Wilhelms-University in Münster, Germany.
National and International Activities:
• 1980-1984 Secretary General, European Congress of Cardiology, Düsseldorf 1984.
• 1990 Chairman, Research Committee, European Society of Cardiology (ESC).
• 1986-1991 Founding chairman, Executive Scientific Committee, ESC (now Congress Programme Committee).
• 1990 Councillor in charge of the Working Groups, ESC.
• 1992 Secretary, ESC.
• 1994-1996 President-Elect, ESC.
• 1996-1998 President, ESC.
• 1998-2009 Member, Scientific Advisory Board, Fondation Leducq.
• 1998-2000 Past-President, ESC.
• 1997-1998 Member, Executive Board, International Society and Federation of Cardiology (ISFC, now World Heart Federation, WHF).
• 1997-1999 President-Elect, German Cardiac Society (DGK).
• 1999-2001 President, DGK.
• 1999 Honorary President of the the Eleventh World Symposium on Pacing and Electrophysiology, June 27–30, 1999, Berlin
• 2001-2003 Past-President, DGK
• 1999-2003 Chairman, Special Collaborative Research Programme, DFG, SFB 556 Heart Failure and Arrhythmias, from Molecular Basis to Clinical Management.
• 2001-2008 Member, Board of Trustees, Max-Delbrück-Centrum für Molekulare Medizin, Berlin.
• 2003-present: Chairman of the Interdisciplinary Task Force, “Erwachsene mit Angeborenenen Herzfehlern – EMAH) (Grown-up Congenital Heart Disease).
• 2003-2015 Chairman, National Network of Competence in Atrial Fibrillation (AFNET).
• 2008-2009 Speaker and Acting Chairman, Competence Network on Congenital Heart Disease.
•2008 – 2016 Member, Board of the German Foundation for Heart Research (Deutsche Stiftung für Herzforschung) of the German Heart Foundation.
• 2009-2014 Deputy Chairman, Competence Network on Congenital Heart Disease.
• 2008-2013 International Advisory Board to CARIM, the Research Institute at Maastricht University.
• 2009-present Member, International Advisory Committee, Interuniversity Cardiology Institute of
the Netherlands (ICIN).
•As of 2011 Member, Board, Karla-Völlm- Foundation Krefeld.
• 2011-2012 Royal Academy of Sciences of the Netherlands – Visiting Professor to the Netherlands
• 2011 – 2016 Member, International Scientific Advisory Council, CVON (CardioVasculair
• 2009-2013 Member and chairman, Committee for Scientific Quality, DGK.
• 2013-2015 Chairman, Task Force “Special Rhythmology”, DGK.
•Member of the Cardiology Section of the National Quality Assurance Programme (BQS, AQUA)
•2013 Member, International Research Assessment Committee, University of Oulu, Finland.
•2014 – 2019 Member, Scientific Advisory Board, Leducq Transatlantic Network of Excellence
“Molecular Genetics, Pathogenesis and Protein-Replacement Therapy in Arrhythmogenic
• 2015 01 Member of the Review Committee on Collaborative Research Grants of the Berlin Institute
of Health (BIH).
•As of 2015 Member and Chair of the AFNET Advisory Board.
•2015 – 2016 Chairman of the ESC Ethics Committee Development Committee.
•2016 – 2017 Chairman of the Transitory Ethics Committee of the ESC.
• 2017 and onwards, Chair of the Ethics and Oversight Committee of the ESC.
•As of 2016, Member of the International Expert Group on Atrial Fibrillation of the World Heart
• 2016 – 2018 Chairman of the ESC Declaration of Interest Thresholds Task Force and member of
the ESC Compensation Task Force.
Membership in Scientific Societies:
•German Cardiac Society.
•German Society for Internal Medicine.
•German Society for Internal Intensive Care.
•American Electrophysiology Society.
•European Society of Cardiology.
•North American Society for Pacing and Electrophysiology (NASPE), now Heart Rhythm Society.
•Society for Quality Management in Health Care.
• International Society for Holter and Non-invasive Electrophysiology.
•European Heart Rhythm Association.
•European Atherosclerosis Society.
• 1985 Corresponding Member of the French Cardiac Society.
• 1988 Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology (FESC).
• 1990 Corresponding Member of the Portuguese Society of Cardiology.
• 1991 Fellow of the American College of Cardiology (F.A.C.C.).
• 1991 Corresponding Member of the Chilenian Society of Cardiology and Cardiovascular Surgery.
• 1995 Corresponding Member of the Spanish Society of Cardiology.
• 1996 Honorary Member of the Slovak Society of Cardiology.
• 1998 Honorary Member of the Polish Cardiac Society.
• 1998 Gold Medal, European Society of Cardiology.
• 1999 Honorary Member of the French Society of Cardiology.
• 2001 Honorary Member of the Norwegian Society of Cardiology.
• 2002 Member of the European Academy of Science and Arts.
• 2004 Member of the European Heart Rhythm Association (EHRA).
•2006 Fellow of the Heart Rhythm Society (FHRS).
• 2018 04 Appointment as Honorary Member of the Atrial Fibrillation Network e.V. (AFNET).
•Edens-Award of the University of Düsseldorf.
•Arthur-Weber-Award of the German Cardiac Society.
• 1998 Gold Medal, European Society of Cardiology.
• 1998 Hellenic Cardiac Society Award on Cardiac Electrophysiology.
• 2000 Ronnie Campbell Lecture of the British Cardiovascular Society: Sudden cardiac death: molecular genetics and repolarisation.
• 2000 Distinguished Scientist Award, International Congress Cardiac Pacing and Electrophysiology.
•2005 Middle East Cardiopace Meeting: Philippe Coumel Lecture: The autonomic nervous system and the heart
• 2006 Dr. honoris causa of the University of Coimbra / Portugal
• 2009 Carl-Ludwig-Honorary Medal of the German Cardiac Society
• 2013 European Cardiac Arrhythmia Society (ECAS): Outstanding Achievement Award
• 2015 Einthoven Lecture of the European Heart Rhythm Association (EHRA): Atrial fibrillation – from mechanisms to improved care
•2016 Werner-Forßmann Prize for the life work of the Foundation “Kardiologie 2000” of the Ruhr-University Bochum
• 2016 Gertrud-Spitz-Award of the German Heart Foundation and the German Cardiac Society
•2017 Henry N. Neufeld Lecture of the International Society of Cardiovascular Pharmacology